1) 1st G-20 Environment meeting under G-20, will be held in
• The first G-20 Environment meeting under the G-20 India Presidency will be held at the Taj West End in Bengaluru during February 9 -11 with focus on restoration of degraded lands and ecosystems, biodiversity enhancement, strengthening of the circular economy, and promotion of blue economy along with coastal sustainability.
• India took over the G20 presidency on December 1 last year and will hold it till November 30.
2) What is India’s rank for Tech venture capital Investments in 2022?
• According to the report, released by the Dealroom and London & Partners, India ranked 4th globally with USD $24.1 billion worth of venture capital (VC) investments in 2022.
• The United States of America (USA) with a USD $233.3 billion tech investment topped the list, followed by China (USD $48 billion) and the United Kingdom (USD $29.9 billion).
• As per the research, USD $10.7 billion of the total tech investment to India went into Bengaluru-based companies.
• Bengaluru accounted for five of the top 10 deals for Indian tech companies in 2022-Byju’s (USD 800m) Swiggy (USD 700m), Dailyhunt (USD 805m), Polygon (USD 450m) and ShareChat (USD 225m).
3) As per EY report, Indian economy will become $26 trillion economy by –
• An EY report states that the Indian economy is likely to reach $26 trillion by the year 2047, which will also be the 100th year of India’s independence.
• The report, titled “India@100: Realising the potential of a $26 trillion economy”.
• The report claims that by 2030, India would have overtaken Germany and Japan to become the world’s third largest economic superpower.
4) Which is India’s 1st district to provide basic documents to tribal people?
• Kerala’s Wayanad district has become the first district in India to provide basic documents and facilities like Aadhaar card, ration card, birth/death certificate, election ID card, bank accounts and health insurance to all tribals.
• Wayanad district administration has achieved this feat by providing 1,42,563 services to 64,670 tribal beneficiaries as part of Akshaya Big Campaign for Document Digitization (ABCD) campaign.
5) A Science Literature Festival ‘Vigyanika’ has been organized at –
• A Science Literature Festival ‘Vigyanika’ has been organized from 22-23 January 2023 at the Indian International Science Festival (IISF), Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology, Bhopal.
• “Science Literature Festival” is being organized as part of the 8th IISF.
• In 2023, IISF is being coordinated and organized by the Ministry of Earth Sciences, Ministry of Science & Technology, and Vijnana Bharati.
• The theme of this edition of IISF is “Moving towards Amrit Kaal with Science, Technology and Innovation”.
6) Who has been awarded as the ‘most eminent scientist for the year 2022’?
A. R.K. Vishnu Prasad
B. Dinkar Khatri
C. Ramnath Sangh
D. Amit Srivastava
• Information and Broadcasting Minister and Sports and Youth Affairs Minister Anurag Thakur met Scientist R.K.
• Vishnu Prasad as the Most Eminent Scientist for the year 2022.
• R. Vishnu, who has got 69 patents in his name in the world of science, has been selected for this award under the Indian Achievers Award.
7) Which country has become the “World’s most populous nation”?
• According to projections by the World Population Review (WPR), India has surpassed China as the world’s most populous nation.
• As per WPR, India’s population was 141.7 crore as of the end of 2022.
• India’s population is a little over 5 million, compared to 141.2 million declared by China on 17 January.
• As per WPR estimates, India’s population has increased to 142.3 crore as of January 18.
• India, with 50 percent of its population below the age of 30, is poised to be the fastest growing major economy in the world.
• India, the third largest economy in Asia, is currently selfsufficient in food production.
• India ranks second in terms of production of rice, wheat and sugar.
8) Which team has lifted the 14th CEC Ice Hockey Cup 2023?
A. Friends Pashkum
B. Humas Warriors Drass
C. Eeal proud
D. Pashkum kargil
• The Friends Pashkum has lifted the 14th CEC Ice Hockey Cup 2023 in the men’s category, after defeating the Humas Warriors Drass.
• While in the women’s category, DownHill Kargil won the cup, after beating Wakha Mulbekh.
• CEC LAHDC Kargil, Feroz Ahmad was the chief guest of this event.
• The tournament was held in Ladakh and was participated by 27 teams, including 4 Women’s teams.
9) “BharOS”, Indigenous mobile operating system, has been developed by –
A. IIT Delhi
B. IIT Kanpur
C. IIT Madras
D. IIT Kharagpur
• IIT Madras incubated firm has developed an Indigenous Mobile Operating System named ‘BharOS’.
• The BharOS was developed by JandK Operations Private Limited (JandKops), which has been incubated at IIT Madras.
• The system can be installed on commercial off-theshelf handsets.
• It provides access to trusted apps from organizationspecific Private App Store Services (PASS).
10) 43rd edition of the International tourism fair “FITUR 2023” inaugurated in –
• King Felipe and Queen Letizia inaugurated the 43rd edition of the International Tourism Fair, Fitur 2023 on January 18 which is being held in Madrid.
• FITUR is the 2nd most important tourism fair in the world.
• This year’s Fitur motto is “Citizens of the World. We Are tourism”, and its focus is on a healthy and sustainable future.
11) Who become the first public sector bank to launch credit cards against FD digitally?
A. Canara Bank
C. Bank of Baroda
• Punjab National Bank (PNB) becomes the first public sector bank to launch credit cards against fixed deposits digitally.
• Aim: To offer for those account holders, who don’t meet the eligibility criteria for regular credit cards.
• The bank offers RuPay or VISA credit cards digitally against single or multiple FDs with 80% credit limit.
12) World Economic Forum (WEF) has chosen which city to set up its Center for the Fourth Industrial Revolution?
D. Greater Noida
• The World Economic Forum (WEF) has chosen Hyderabad to set up its Center for the Fourth Industrial Revolution focused on healthcare and life sciences.
• This will be the only centre in India thematically focused on healthcare and life sciences.
• C4IR Telangana is the 18th centre to join the World Economic Forum’s Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR) Network, which spans four continents.
• Telangana is known as the vaccine centre of the world and produces one-third of all vaccines produced globally.
13) Who will replace Jacinda Ardern as Prime Minister of New Zealand?
A. David Parker
B. Chris Hipkins
C. Kelvin Davis
D. Megan Woods
• New Zealand Education Minister Chris Hipkins, who led the response to the COVID-19 pandemic, will replace Jacinda Ardern as the country’s next prime minister.
• Hipkins emerged as the sole candidate to lead the Labor Party, the party said on 21 January.
• 44-year-old Chris Hipkins, first elected to parliament for the Labour Party in 2008, became a household name for taking a crisis management role in the government’s response to the pandemic after being appointed minister for COVID-19 in November 2020.
• He is currently the minister for police, education and public service, as well as the leader of the House.
14) Who has been appointed as the new CEO of Vedanta’s Cairn Oil & Gas?
A. AC Charania
B. Nilakshi Saha
C. Praveen Sharma
D. Nick Walker
• Nick Walker has been appointed as the new Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Vedanta’s Cairn Oil & Gas, with effect from 5 January 2023.
• Before this appointment, Walker was president and CEO at Lundin Energy, a large European independent E&P companies.
• Cairn Oil & Gas, Vedanta Limited, is the largest oil and gas exploration and production company in India. Cairn contributed ~24% to India’s domestic crude oil production in financial year 2019-20 and has a vision to produce 50% of India’s oil and gas.
15) ‘World’s oldest dated Runestone’ has been discovered in
• The World’s oldest dated Runestone has been discovered in Norway, featuring runic inscriptions from up to 2,000 years ago.
• The stone has been named “Svingerudsteinen,” or “the Svingerud Stone,” after the site where it was found.
• Radiocarbon dates show that the age of the grave and thus the inscriptions on the stone probably date back to 1-250 CE (AD).
• Svingerudsteinen is the only stone found by archeologists that dates to before 300 AD.
16) A rare low altitude Basalt Plateau was discovered in
• Recently a rare low altitude basalt plateau has been discovered in the Western Ghats of Maharashtra.
• A basalt plateau discovered in the Thane region of the Western Ghats could prove to be a storehouse of information on 76 species of plants and shrubs from 24 different families.
• This rare low altitude basalt plateau has been discovered in Manjare village of Thane district by ARI team led by Dr. Mandar Datar.
16) Who has inaugurated a one-day exhibition and conference as “Cold Chain Conclave”?
A. Kiren Rijiju
B. Virendra Kumar
C. Manoj Ahuja
D. G. Kishan Reddy
• The Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare in association with PHD Chamber of Commerce & Industry (PHDCCI) and National Center for Cold Chain Development (NCCD) organised a one-day exhibition and conference as “Cold Chain Conclave” on 19th January in New Delhi.
• The conclave and exhibition was inaugurated by Manoj Ahuja, Secretary, Department of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare.
17) Which Union Minister has launched the ‘Bharat Pravah’ initiative?
A. Raj Kumar Singh
B. Ashwini Vaishnaw
C. Bhupender Yadav
D. Sarbananda Sonowal
• Shipping, Waterways and Ports Minister Sarbananda Sonowal has launched the initiative ‘Bharat PravahIndia along its Shores’.
• The objective of this initiative is to highlight the importance of rivers-ports-shipping in the everyday life of the common man through literature, dialogue and communication.
• India has 7,500 km of coastline, 14,500 km of navigable potential waterways and strategic locations along major international maritime trade routes.
18) 5 km marathon ‘Run for Life’ was organised by the Indian Embassy in –
B. Sri Lanka
• On 21st January, 5 km marathon ‘Run for Life’ was organised by the Indian Embassy in Kathmandu, Nepal.
• Theme: ‘lifestyle for Environment’
• The Run for Life Marathon celebrates the diplomatic relations between India and Nepal as well as 75 years of India’s independence.
• The Embassy of India in Kathmandu also organised a music concert ‘Sangeet Sukoon’.
19) Who has become the Champion at the Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Dhaka Marathon 2023?
A. Joseph Kayengo Muniwoki
B. Stanley Kiprotich Bett
C. Tekla Kirongo
D. Usain Bolt
• The Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Dhaka Marathon 2023 was held in the capital city Dhaka on 20th January.
• Kenyan runner Stanley Kiprotich Bett became the champion of the marathon with a timing of 2 hours 8 minutes and 10 seconds. He was followed by another Kenyan runner, Joseph Kayengo Muniwoki, who finished second with a timing of 2 hours 8 minutes and 50 seconds.
• In the women’s sprint category, Bashanke Imoshe Billo (Ethiopia) emerged champion with a timing of 2:35:25 while Tekla Kirongo of Kenya came second in 2:35:29.
20) Which International Airport wins ‘Best Sustainable Greenfield Airport Award’?
B. Goa Manohar
C. Kazi Nazrul
D. Donyi Polo
• Goa Manohar International Airport (MIA) has been awarded the prestigious “Best Sustainable Greenfield Airport” award under Aviation Sustainability and Environment at the ASSOCHAM 14th International Conference.
• The award was presented for “outstanding initiatives” taken by Goa International Airport Limited (GGIAL) in implementing sustainability.
• The awards were presented to senior officials of GGIAL by Union Civil Aviation Minister Jyotiraditya Scindia.
21) Which state announced that girls students above the age of 18 years will get maternity leave of 60 days?
D. Andhra Pradesh
• Higher Education Minister in Kerala R Bindu announced that girls students above the age of 18 years will get maternity leave of 60 days.
• The required attendance percentage for female students will be 73% including menstrual leave.
• The attendance percentage required earlier was 75%.
22) Which city will host the FIDE World Chess Championship match 2023?
• The FIDE World Championship 2023 is due to take place in Astana, Kazakhstan, from April 7th to May 1st.
• A new World Champion will be crowned, as Ian Nepomniachtchi and Ding Liren will battle to seize the throne left vacant by Magnus Carlsen’s withdrawal.
• At Astana, the prize fund will be 2 million, with 60% going to the winner and 40% to the runner-up.
Leave a Comment