1) Which team has won the 2022 FIFA World Cup title?
• Argentina won the FIFA World Cup 2022 title third time after defeating defending champions France 4-2 on penalties.
• The final match was played at Lusail Stadium in Lusail, Qatar.
• Argentina has been able to win the World Cup after 36 years. It has now won the title for the third time after 1978 and 1986.
• Lionel Messi scored the first goal in the match on a penalty in the 23rd minute. He became the first footballer in the world to score in all knockout matches of a World Cup.
• Lionel Messi won the Golden Ball award for the best player in the FIFA World Cup 2022, while Mbappe won the Golden Boot award for being the top goalscorer and Emiliano Martinez of Argentina won the Golden Glove award for being the best goalkeeper.
2) Who has won the ATP Fans’ Favorite Award 2022?
A. Rafael Nadal
B. Carlos Alcaraz
C. Casper Ruud
D. Novak Djokovic
• Spanish tennis player, Rafael Nadal has won the Fan’ Favorite singles title at the Association of Tennis Professionals, ATP Awards 2022.
• Carlos Alcaraz (Spain) has won the title of Most Improved Player of the Year at the ATP awards 2022.
• Fan’s favourite (doubles): Nick Kyrgios and Thanasi Kokkinakis
• Newcomer of the Year: Holger Rune
• Comeback Player of the Year: Borna Coric
• Coach of the Year: Juan Carlos Ferrero
• Arthur Ashe Humanitarian Award: Andy Murray
3) Which city has been included under the “Swadesh Darshan 2.0” scheme?
B. Bihar Sharif
• Gaya and Nalanda in Bihar has been included by the Government of India under the Swadesh Darshan 2.0 scheme.
• Punaura Dham in Sitamarhi District of Bihar has been selected for development under the PRASHAD Scheme of the Government of India.
• This information was given by the Union Tourism Minister G. Kishan Reddy in the Lok Sabha on 19 December 2022.
• Government of India launched Swadesh Darshan scheme in2014-15 for integrated development of theme based tourist circuits for eg Buddhist circuit, Ramayana circuit, desert circuit etc.
• It was later revamped and re-launched as Swadesh Darshan 2.0 with the focus on developing sustainable and responsible tourism destinations.
4) PA Sangma football stadium has been inaugurated in –
• Meghalaya CM, Conrad K Sangmaat has inaugurated a football stadium at the P A Sangma Sports Complex, Dakopgre in Tura.
• The stadium and the two indoor stadiums are built over a combined area of over 17,000 sqm.
• The indoor stadiums, along with gymnasium, swimming pool, a table tennis Hall, squash hall and a badminton hall will be ready for inauguration by December 2023.
• The government has also launched a talent identification programme for athletes.
5) Who has inaugurated a nationwide campaign ‘Prashasan Gaon ki Ore’?
A. Jitendra Singh
B. Piyush Goyal
C. Pralhad Joshi
D. Ashwini Vaishnaw
• Union Minister for Personnel, Public Grievances, and Pensions Jitendra Singh has inaugurated a nationwide campaign, Prashasan Gaon ki Ore.
• This campaign was launched under the Good Governance Week 2022 in New Delhi.
• He has also launched the Good Governance Week portal, pgportal.gov.in.
• More than 700 district collectors will participate in the campaign and officers will visit tehsil and panchayat samiti headquarters.
6) Who has been appointed as the first Chancellor of Gati Shakti Vishwavidyalaya, Vadodara?
A. Bhupendra Yadav
B. Ashwini Vaishnaw
C. Kiren Rijiju
D. Pralhad Joshi
• Union Minister of Railways, Ashwini Vaishnaw has been appointed as the Chancellor of Gati Shakti Vishwavidyalaya, Vadodara, by President Smt. Draupadi Murmu.
• It is noteworthy to mention that Ashwini Vaishnaw will be the first Chancellor of Gati Shakti Vishwavidyalaya.
• President also appointed Dr Manoj Chaudhary as the first Vice Chancellor of Gati Shakti University, Vadodara.
• As per the Central University Act, 2009, Dr Manoj Chaudhary will hold the position of Vice Chancellor of Gati Shakti University for five years from the date he assumes office.
7) Which company has won the IEI Industry Excellence Award 2022?
A. National Mineral Development Corporation
B. TP renewable Microgrid
C. NTPC Limited
D. Torrent Power
• National Miner National Mineral Development Corporation (NMDC) won the Institution of Engineers, India (IEI) Industry Excellence Award 2022 in Chennai.
• The largest producer of iron ore in the country was felicitated at the 37th Indian Engineering Congress for its outstanding performance and high level of business excellence.
• The Institution of Engineers (India) has given the Industry Excellence Award to NMDC, after reviewing the business operations, financial performance, environmental performance, research and development, CSR, and corporate governance policies of a company.
8) India and which country will launch ferry service between Kankesanthurai and Pondicherry in January 2023?
D. Sri Lanka
• Sri Lanka and India will start a passenger ferry service between Kankesanthurai port in Jaffna district and Karaikal ports in Pondicherry in January 2023.
• A large number of Indian citizens are engaged in business activities in the Jaffna Peninsula.
• The ferry service between Tamil Nadu and the Northern part of Sri Lanka which is dominated by Sri Lanka Tamils was disrupted in 1980’s due to the civil war in Sri Lanka.
• After the end of the civil war in Sri Lanka in 2009, efforts were made to revive the old transportation link between the two countries.
9) What is India’s rank in the 2022 Global Food Security Index (GFSI)?
• The 2022 Global Food Security Index (GFSI) report was released by the British weekly The Economist. The 11th Global Food Security Index shows a deterioration in the global food environment for the third year, threatening food security.
• In this report, South Africa overtook Tunisia to become the most food-secure country in Africa.
• India is ranked at 68th position along with Algeria with the overall score of 58.9. China’s position is at 25th with the score of 74.2.
• India was ranked at 71st position in the Global Food Security (GFS) Index 2021 of 113 countries with an overall score of 57.2 points on the GFS Index 2021.
10) Who has granted $1 million to IIT Madras to build India’s first Responsible AI center?
• Google plans to collaborate with Indian Institute of Science (IISC) for project Vaani, Google for India announced on December 19, 2022.
• Under the partnership, Google aims to build an artificial intelligence/machine learning (AI/ML) model to collect language samples from 773 districts across India.
• As per the official announcement, Project Vaani aims to ensure the collected and produced data will be opensource.
• In addition, Google has granted a fund of $1 million to Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras to build India’s first Responsible AI center. The center aims to research on various aspects of bias in artificial intelligence (AI) in Indian perspective.
11) Which Indian Navy sailboat will participate in the 50th edition of the ‘Cape Town to Rio Race 2023’ to be held in January 2023?
A. INSV Tarini
B. INSV Ambuda
C. INSV Balwan
D. INSV Ajral
• Indian Navy’s sailboat INSV Tarini has set sail for an expedition to Cape Town, South Africa for participating in the 50th edition of Cape to Rio Race 2023.
• This ocean sailing race will be flagged off from Cape Town on 2 January 2023 and will culminate at Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
• The race is one of the most prestigious Trans-Atlantic ocean races.
• INSV Tarini is known for circumnavigating the globe with an all-women officer crew in the historic expedition titled ‘Navika Sagar Parikrama’ in 2017.
12) Who is the author of newly launched book “The Light We Carry: Overcoming In Uncertain Times”?
A. Barack Obama
B. Michelle Obama
C. Jill Biden
D. Rajvanshi Devi
• The Light We Carry: Overcoming in Uncertain Times is a nonfiction book written by Michelle Obama and published, by Crown Publishing.
• The Light We Carry will inspire readers to examine their own lives, identify their sources of gladness, and connect meaningfully in a turbulent world.
• The author “shares the contents of her ‘personal toolbox’ – the habits and practices, attitudes and beliefs, and even physical objects that she uses to overcome her feelings of fear, helplessness and self doubt.”
13) Which city will host the Urban 20 meetings as part of G 20 meetings?
• The UNESCO heritage city Ahmedabad will host the Urban 20 meetings as part of G 20 meetings between Februarys to July 2023.
• Chief Minister of Gujarat Bhupendra Patel unveiled the logo, website and social media handles of the Urban-20 conference in Gandhinagar on 19 December 2022.
• In July 2023, the U20 mayor’s summit will be held in Ahmedabad to discuss urban development issues.
• The Urban 20 will provide a platform for the G20 cities to facilitate discussions on important issues of urban development including climate change, social inclusion, sustainable mobility, affordable housing, and financing of urban infrastructure to propose collective solutions.
14) Which country launched the ‘Surface Water and Ocean Topography (SWOT) spacecraft’?
• The US National Aeronautics and SpaceAdministration (NASA) launched the Earth science satellite to track nearly all the water on Earth’s surface.
• The Surface Water and Ocean Topography (SWOT) spacecraft was launched atop a SpaceX rocket with a mission of three years.
• The satellite will measure the height of water in freshwater bodies and the ocean on more than 90 per cent of Earth’s surface. This information will provide insights on how the ocean influences climate change.
15) Which company has launched indigenous consumer packaged goods brand “Independence”?
• Reliance Group has launched its fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) brand “Independence” in Gujarat.
• The company will offer several indigenous products including processed foods, staples and daily essentials.
• It is launched by Reliance Consumer Products, a subsidiary of Reliance Retail Ventures Ltd.
16) National Animal Resource Facility for Biomedical Research (ICMR-NARFBR) has been inaugurated in –
• Dr. Mansukh Mandaviya, Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare, opened the ICMR-NARFBR (National Animal Resource Facility for Biomedical Research) in Genome Valley in Hyderabad.
• NARFBR is a premier centre dedicated to the ethical care, use, and welfare of laboratory animals in research.
• The Centre will develop pre-clinical testing procedures for novel medications, vaccines, and diagnostics, as well as quality assurance checks.